Friday, January 3, 2014

The Flat Iron Building, Snowflakes and Making Something Old New Again

 Happy New Year!!! Lisa here with the first round of Design Team 2014 projects. With winter in full swing in some parts of the country, it made me think about our trips into the city on snowy days. New York City that is. One of the most fascinating iconic treasures is The Flat Iron Building. If you've never been, it sure is one of the buildings you have to visit. I chose to use one of my favorite winter pictures of the building for this layout and do it in a more grungy style.

 To keep in the chipboard theme, I used 2 pieces of Kraft paper to complete this layout. Gesso, paint, stamping and embossing round it all out in techniques. I even used some washi tape!!


The Manor Hinge was painted with black acrylic paint then kissed with Viva Colour Metallic rub in bronze. I used the rub on the nailhead brads as well. 


I used  a piece from the Film Strips pack to display the title of my layout. The Bits Of Honey pieces were rubbed with the bronze metallic rub as well. They look like actual metal pieces.


This next project is another entry into my art journal. I think the  Winter Page Dangles fit perfectly in my journal as they were the perfect size.  I followed the sketch from our January Sketch Challenge. I hope you join in and create something with the sketch.


The Blue Fern Studios Shabby Snowflakes were coated with Glitter then topped with a pink rhinestone to enhance the color of the rose in the photo. It adds just a touch of warmth.


The Winter Page Dangles were painted and then covered with a thick Lacquer medium and sprinkled with glitter. The lacquer is dimensional makes them look like jewels.  Rhinestones were also attached to the page dangles.


 This last layout is a redo of an older layout I had stashed in my pile of layouts. Long ago, I had created some rolled roses for this page and attached some store bought butterflies. It needed a serious wonderful new facelift, so I pulled off the flowers and butterflies, picked out my Blue Fern Studios chipboard and created my redo. I love it even better than the old version. It is bright and cheery and makes me think of a summer garden.


The Fantasy Butterfly set has the most beautiful pattern in the wings. Open and lacy and perfect for this frilly page. I used a pearl pen for the body and antennae, then painted the wings with acrylic paint and sprinkled some glitter on while the paint was still wet. The photo needed some corner adornments so I used 2 of the Small Symphony corners that I painted with acrylic paint and then rubbed metallic rub on lightly for added shine.

 Thank you for stopping by for some inspiration. I hope you join our Sketch Challenge. There is an awesome prize to be won!!! Till next time, Happy New Year!! May the new year bring you wonderful creativity!!

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, that first page is "grungy good" and now one of my top fav's of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three beautiful creations! I love love the first one, amazing colors, texture and embellies to enhance the cool photo ;)

    ReplyDelete